Planning Officer Jesse Hansen
Office located in Municipal Office
Office Hours: Effective Jan. 3, 2023 - Tuesday to Thursday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Mondays & Fridays by appointment only.
If you plan on building in the Municipality of Killarney – Turtle Mountain, you are required to obtain a building permit prior to construction.
View or download a copy of the permit.
If you are planning to install a fence, build a deck or complete home improvements in the Municipality of Killarney-Turtle Mountain you are required to obtain a development permit prior to the new installations. (Some examples of home improvements include new doors, windows, siding replacement & deck replacement).
Permits are required for:
- Construction of any building
- The addition, extension, improvement, alteration or conversion of any building, structure, or portion thereof;
- The repair of any building or structure;
- The relocation or removal or demolition of any building or structure;
- The excavation of any land for purpose of erecting or locating on or above it, any building or structure;
- Other examples include: homes, garages, storage sheds, attached carports, decks, concrete work, apartment blocks, hotels & motels, commercial or industrial buildings, agricultural buildings, barns, sheds, etc.
- Development permits are required for fences.
- Permits are not required for painting or decorating. Permits are not required for other non-structural alterations or repairs where the value of such work is less than seven thousand dollars ($7000.00).
- Where a permit has not been obtained prior to the commencement of the actual work, the permit fee shall be "double” the normal rate;
- Any person that contravenes, disobeys, refuses, or neglects to obey may be guilty of an offense and subject to summary conviction under provisions of the By-Law.
Call Killarney-Turtle Mountain Planning at 523-8327 for info and an appointment. You will need a site plan and a copy of your blueprints for a building permit.
DISTRICT FEE SCHEDULE
Residential, New Dwellings and Additions:
|Main Floor||$100.00 base fee & .35/sq. ft.|
|Each Additional Floor||.35/sq. ft.|
|Basement||$75.00 base fee|
|Grade Beam, Piles & Crawl Space||$75.00|
|Garages, Carports & Accessory Building(s)||$120.00|
|Covered Deck(s) same as new additions|
|New Commercial (non-residential)|
$100.00 base fee
1% of the first $500,000 of project value and
0.6% of the valuation of the work over $500,000
(Barns, Large Sheds, Open Housing)
|$75.00 base fee & .06 / sq. ft.|
|Plumbing Permit |
(Renovations only, it is included in the building permit fee)
|$75.00 flat fee|
DEVELOPMENT PERMIT (ITS AUTHORIZATION)
(a) All Buildings and structures, unless indicated separately in this section will be charged a Development Permit Fee on the following:
• Construction Value up to $25,000.00 --------------------------------------$75.00
• Construction Value between $25,001.00 and $100,000.00---------$125.00
• Construction Value between $100,001.00 and $250,000.00-------$200.00
• Construction Value between $250,001.00 and $750,000.00-------$300.00
• Construction Value between $750,001.00------------------------------$500.00
FAILURE TO OBTAIN PERMIT
Where a permit is required and where a permit has not been obtained prior to the commencement of the actual work, the fee shall be double the normal rate.
(a) Where a development permit/building permit has not been obtained, for whatever reason, before the activity requiring it has started. ( Surcharge of $80.00 shall be added to permit fees)
(b) Non-compliance with a Notice or Order ($250.00 Penalty fee due immediately)
(c) Non-compliance with a second Notice or Order ($350 penalty fee due immediately)
(d) Non-compliance with third Notice or Order ( $550.00 penalty fee due immediately PLUS requires that this matter be reviewed by Council and further legal actions at the council discretion will be taken to gain compliance.
Whenever a permit is surrendered for cancellation within six (6) months of obtaining the permit, a refund of the fees paid shall be made after deducting $60.00 plus any inspection fees.
1- Inspections related to a Development Permit/Building Permit/Plumbing Permit and conducted during regular hours;----------------------------(Fee included in permit fee) $0.00
2- Whenever an inspection is requested of a building, RTM, mobile or modular home, building to be moved into the district, structure, plumbing system, along with the writing of a report or Order, other than an inspection following the issuance of a permit, and conducted withing business hours within the RM, the fee shall be:$60.00 per hour or fraction thereof, plus travel expenses, for the inspection and the writing of the report and any subsequent time spent on the administration of the file until completion or closing of the file.
3- Inspections outside regular business hours, including requested inspections, which are not restricted to a Development Permit $75.00 per hour or fraction therof, plus travel expenses.
4- Travel expenses for items listed above; as per current mileage rates and meal charges prescribed by the current councillor remuneration by-law.
5- When an inspection is called for and the site work is not complete to the satisfaction of the Building Official and when an additional inspection is required, additional charges for the inspection as follows; $60.00 per hour or fraction thereof, plus travel expenses at the current rate prescribed by the current councillor remuneration By-law.
RTM HOMES AND BUILDINGS
New RTM's from outside the planning district shall be inspected by the authority having jurisdiction of that area and a copy of the building inspection report and permit application shall be provided. Where there is no such authority the inspection shall be carried out by the planning district development officer. The inspection fees shall be equal to a new residential fee plus mileage.
- Zoning Memorandum $75.00
- Zoning By-Law Amendment $1000.00
- Development Plan Amendment $1000.00
- Conditional Use Order *Urban $350.00
- *Rural $350.00
- ILO Conditional Use Order $2000.00
- Variation Order $350.00
- Minor Variation Order $60.00
- Development Permit $75.00
- Occupancy Permit $80.00
- Outstanding Work Order Request/Due Diligence Inquiry $75.00